This Workshop is an integrated experience to learn the academic and professional skills necessary to be a filmmaker! Starting with the idea, directing, script writing, cinematography, editing and film music! How to make your project budget and all papers required to apply for any fund or logistical support and market your film? With a group of professionals in the Film industry.
In this workshop:
- 1) Directing: Mohammed Nader: 20 session
- Knowing the main concepts of visual narration.
- Main principles of directing.
- How the director should treat and analyze the script.
- The relation between the director and the scriptwriter
- How to form cadre that show most important points in the script.
- Knowing different angles and sizes of the cadres, and angles of shooting, camera movements and lens sizes
- How to use the camera, knowing the different kinds of camera and the materials.
- How to light the scene professionally.
- Knowing how to use all the director’s tools to serve the drama in terms of sizes, movements, etc. and the drama goals.
- 2) Scriptwriting: Ahmed Mourad 2 sessions
- Basics of the script; starting from selecting the topic to screen!
- Plot, crisis, climax and solution are essential elements of script writing.
- The existence of new screening platforms that requires standard specifications for writing depends on international Drama standards, what’s IMPORTANT to new writers to consider?
- 3) Cinematography: DOP Mahmoud Lotfy
- 4 sessions
- The different types of cameras, lenses and necessary equipment and the differences between them. How to benefit from them dramatically?
- Lighting basics, types and differences between them.
- How to make a professional cinematic cadre with your lowest cost?
- The relationship between the director and the DOP and the common words between them.
- 4) Directing Actors: 2 sessions with Mohamed Rahmo
- How to direct an actor?
- The relationship between the director and the actor and how the director’s role effects the choices an actor makes in performance.
- The importance of rehearsals.
- Practicing through some scenes from the most important international films.
- 5) Editing: Emad Maher 2 sessions
- Answering questions:
– Editor’s Role?
– Relationship between Editor and Director?
– Scene – Shot – Take
– Shot Types
- The Birth of Continuity Editing:
– Lumiere – Melies – Porter – Griffith
– The Soviet Theory of Montage
- Kuleshov Effect – Eisenstein Continue Editing VS Montage Editing:
– The four dimensions of editing
– Graphical Relationship
– Spatial Relationship
– Establishing Shot
– Shot\Reverse Shot
– 180 Degree Rule
– Eyeline match
– Temporal Relationship
– Match on Action
– Parallel Editing
– L Cut \ J Cut
– Fade in \ Fade out
– Rhythmic Relationship
– ALTERNATIVE TO THE CONTINUEITY EDITING
– Long Take
– Invisible Tale
– BREAKING THE RULES
– The French New Wave
– Jump Cut
– Smash Cut
– ADVANCED EDITING THEORIES
– When does Film Continuity REALLY matter?
– IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
– Walter Murch – book study
- 6) Film Music: Dr. Marwan Fawzy 3 sessions
- Basic key concepts:
– Music score Vs. soundtrack
– Source music
– Additional score
– Musical supervising
- Aesthetic Discussions:
– The dramatic impact of sound
– Music and silence
– Music and screenplay
– Music and characters design
– Music and scenography
– Symbolism if sound and music
– Theatrical built scenes and music
- Technical Orientations:
– Mise – en- scene and the audio shot
– The qualities of good sound recording
– Screen geography and sound
– Mini introduction to foley art and sound design.
- 7) Production: Ahmed Zayyan 2 sessions
- An overview of long and short Documentary and Feature filmmaking.
- Criteria for selecting technical projects.
- How to make your project budget and all papers required to apply for any fund or logistical support?
- Fund or support for the project. How do I apply for my film?
- Defining the production departments and the role of each of Producer, Executive Producer, Production Manager and the rest of production team.
- How to deal with the rest of the technical departments and how to choose the appropriate work team for the film?
- How to conduct projects with low budgets?
- How do you profit from your project?
- Marketing, distribution and film screening methods.
- And finally, Script Development
- (6 sessions) with the scriptwriter Adam Abdelghaffar
During the workshop, the participants will rehearse on writing their own script ” Final Project ” , accessing a cinematic treatment for each person’s project, then filming the footage and directing a scene, through which they will be filtered and only five students will be selected to qualify for the development workshop with….
- The Director Sherif El-Bandary:
. During the project discussion lectures, each student will present a preliminary scenario for his own project and discuss it in detail with the director “Sherif El-Bandary” and his colleagues, and prepare for the implementation of the film after the end of the workshop period, which the school will support with the necessary equipment
Only one film will be selected as the best film to be fully produced by Arab Film School.
- Starting Sunday 29th of May, 2022
- Sundays, Tuesdays , Thursdays
- From 07 to 10PM
- Venue: 18 ABDALLAH DERAZ ST, Ard el golf, Cairo Governorate.
# Payment Method #
You can pay 50 % of the full amount as a down payment to confirm your registration , and the other 50 % of it , will be paid at the first session.
Duration: 40 sessions